Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Sliders, Fries, and Show & Tell....


So, it’s been a while but life gets in the way.  I’m here now with some recipes and a “show & tell”. No need to thank me. I’m a giver that way. ;)

OK, so for the recipe.  On Friday night I decided to make sliders for dinner.  I checked out the many combos on foodnetwork and liked Rachel Ray’s version for her Chorizo Sliders. I used ground turkey…yes, turkey again!  I know you are probably thinking that’s all I make at home, but it’s what I had on hand and trust me they were delicious! 

Turkey & Chorizo Sliders with Avocado Crema
recipe adapted from Rachael Ray

For Sliders 
1 lb. ground turkey
½ lb. pork chorizo (I prefer to get the chorizo from the butcher area & not the pre-packed one – it has less fat and tastes better)
¼ cup Worcestershire sauce (I can never pronounce that word…always comes out sounding like I’m saying worstchestershire…oh well)
1 tbs. paprika
salt & pepper
grape seed / olive oil for drizzling
3-4 slices of Pepper Jack cheese (and also Colby as Vivian is not too keen on pepper jack)
small slider rolls 
lettuce (I used arugula as that’s what I had in the fridge)
sliced plum tomatoes
sliced red onion
1-2 slices of Applewood bacon (optional – I had it and Vivian wanted it!)

For Avocado Crema
1 avocado (since only 3 of us only needed 1 avocado)
juice of 1/2 a lemon
small handful of fresh cilantro leaves
lemon & pepper seasoning
¼ cup sour cream

Directions:

Heat a skillet, griddle to medium-high heat (I used the griddle)

Mix the ground turkey and chorizo (no need to grind it -- just break it apart) along with Worcestershire sauce, paprika and salt & pepper together in a large bowl.  Once well mixed drizzle the oil over it and combine.  Form 12 patties and cook the sliders for 3-4 minutes on each side. When you have one minute to go add the cheese.  If adding bacon cook this as well.  

While you are cooking the sliders get a small bowl and add the avocado(s), lemon juice, cilantro (best to chop it up or use the food processor as Rachel suggests), sour cream and seasoning.  Mix all together until get a smooth consistency. 

Once all done (I like to toast the burger buns a bit) it’s time to pile it on.  To the bottom of the bun I add a slice of lettuce, then the slider, avocado crema comes next, and then the tomato, onion and bacon (if use).  

I also made some Baked French Fries.  

Here’s the recipe:

3-4 yukon or russet potatoes
1 tbs. oil (I used grape seed)
paprika
kosher salt
pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Peel the potatoes if desired (I didn’t -- I know you probably know this already but just in case...if don't peel make sure to wash them thoroughly) and cut into thin wedges or french-fry size.  Mix the cut potatoes with the oil & seasonings in a bowl.  Get your baking sheet (I lightly spray with cooking spray, as my baking sheet isn’t that great at releasing the food once it’s cooked) and add the potatoes and cook for 10 minutes.  Turn the potatoes and cook for an additional 10 minutes.

Dinner is served! 


We had chocolate pudding with homemade whipped cream (courtesy of Vivian) for dessert.  Yummy!  We were so impressed by the dessert that I didn’t take photos.

Now for the “show & tell”.  Vivian had showed me some earrings, well an earring she wanted me to make for her.  She saw it on Teen Vogue and it a feather earring.  So, I attempted it and she really liked the results.  She wore it to school and one of her friends asked her to see if I could make one for her, so here it is….
Here is Vivian modeling it....

I also made an additional one for Vivian. 

I wanted to make it shorter but she said she liked it as is. 

I also attempted to make some rings.  I didn’t have any cool buttons to use so I tried to make with beads.  I really like the silver one…actually wearing it now. 


And that’s it!  But of course, I leave you with Luna…
This was last night...notice how she arranges the pillows for her comfort.  

No comments:

Post a Comment