Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Turkey Balls & Waffles....

Hola!  I know I have been away for a bit but I’m here now with a recipe and a post about a most delicious dessert.  First for the recipe....last night I cooked turkey balls…OK, so the technical term for them are turkey meatballs…whatever.  I looked through the web to find a recipe while utilizing the ingredients I had at home but couldn’t come up with just the right one.  I was on the Food Network site and liked the Alton Brown recipe for “Baked Meatballs”.  It looked like it would be full of flavor, but alas, I didn’t have any ground pork, or ground lamb or frozen spinach for that matter.  So, the following is what I came up with....

Directions:
Recipe inspired by Alton Brown

Makes approximately 15 turkey balls!

1 pound ground turkey
1 egg -- beaten
1/4 cup grated parmesan
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp kosher salt
1/3 cup panko crumbs 

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Grab a baking sheet pan and either spray with cooking spray or cover with aluminum foil – I did both as mine likes to hold on to stuff. 

Combine all ingredients in one bowl.  Use your hands to mix all ingredients together.  Once mixed shape the turkey mixture in to small rounded meatballs (approx. 1.5” or so in diameter or you can do what Alton does and weigh them to 1.5 ounces…umm…yeah, I don’t have a scale thingie so just made small meatballs).  Cook for 20-25 minutes (mine were done in 21 minutes exactly).

I didn't think about posting this on my blog until after I started the recipe so don't have step by step pix. I do have this picture of the lil' suckers cooking....


I then cooked some spaghetti and mixed in some Vodka sauce (my fav!) and then added the turkey balls.  And dinner is served….



OK, now for some waffles....Last week I met up with two of my very good friends Glenda and Santa for some dinner and lots of girl talk.  We met up at Old Town Orange (love that area!) and ate at Henry’s Grill & Rotisserie (great place with super friendly waiters).  We talked about going next door (or two or three doors down) to eat some cupcakes for dessert,  but we kept talking and talking and when we decided to leave Henry’s and make our move to the Cupcakery the dang place was closed!!!  What the what!?!?! Our sweet tooth (or is it teeth???) demanded dessert so undeterred we marched on over to Bruxie.  They make waffle magic I tell ya!  Glenda ordered the S'Mores, Santa, the ever adventurous one, decided to try one of their featured waffle concoctions called the Strawberry Crème Brule, and I stuck to my favorite in crepes...Nutella & Bananas.  Oh heavens!  I cannot even explain to you how good each one was (yes, of course we each had a bite of the others…we’re tight like that!).  I still have flashbacks of the nutella and banana combined with the sweet cream – it’s like my taste buds won the lottery.  {{sigh}}  I will definitely go back real soon.  Oh Bruxie, I am over the moon for you!  But glad you are not that close to my place, as I fear my waistband would expand way too much from all your goodness and no amount of Tae Bo would help!  OK, so instead of Luna pix I leave you with waffle pix...Luna understands and will be back next post. 

S'Mores -- um, yes I'd like some more!

Stawberry Crème Brule -- oh hecks to the yeah!

Nutella & Bananas -- the most perfect of combos...just look at that ooey-gooey goodness!


No comments:

Post a Comment