Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Strawberries....

It's strawberry season.  I dig 'em, but I must admit I don't like eating them plain.

They look innocent enough.
I hate biting into one and finding them not sweet...bitter yuckiness.  It turns me off strawberries for a while.  So, I bought a pound of strawberries thinking I'd use them for shakes, but while at Sprout's store I found these...
You know who else liked these?  Yep, Ms. Luna.  Of course, I only gave her a tiny bit.
I figured I'd add some strawberries and whipped cream on top and make a delectable dessert.  
Ugh! The background is distracting from the delectableness of my dessert!  

Here's what I used:

For strawberries:
1 pound fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
2 tbs balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup sugar

Mix all ingredients together, cover and let sit at room temperature for about an hour.

Sliced strawberries with sugar on top
 For the whipped cream:


1 cup whipping cream + 1 tbs clear vanilla extract + 1/4 cup sugar =  yummy whipped cream
I added all ingredients to standing mixer (fitted with wire whisk attachment) and blended away for about 4-5 minutes (start off at slow speed....unless you enjoy having milk splattered everywhere...increase to high as it comes together) until form peaks.  

I cut the mini angel food cake in half, added the strawberry mixture then a generous dollop of whip cream, and finished with the top of the mini cake.  


Until next time!

Luna patiently waiting for more angel food cake.  



No comments:

Post a Comment