Tuesday, April 3, 2012

International sandwich...


On Saturday I visited, Aria, the new international market that opened nearby.  It is full of good stuff from different countries.  I mainly went there to pick up some naan bread.


It is amazingly good and best of all they bake it while you wait.  I wish I would of thought to take pics but I was too enthralled by the process to think about whipping out my smart phone.  Basically the baker man adds water to a metal table then adds sesame seeds and grabs a handful of dough, he then stretches it out and kind of slaps it silly.  I believe the slapping it so take out any air bubbles.  He then lays it on a big spatula and put it into a conveyer type oven and stretches it out.  It’s about 5 feet in length!  And oh man does it taste good…all warm and doughy and goodness and dang! I stopped myself from eating it right then and there….I mean how embarrassing would that have been!  From the bread section I moved on to where the cheeses are located…conveniently right next to the bread area.  I think I tasted all the cheeses they had but settled on two Mexican cheeses…queso fresco (fresh cheese…more of a “crumbly cheese”…so yummy!) and panela (also a “fresh cheese” but its milder and when heated its creamy and soft.)
My mom calls it "quesadilla cheese".
For lunch on Sunday I made grilled cheese sandwiches using the items purchased from Arias and stuff already had in my fridge.  I made two variations…

1st:
2 slices of  prosciutto (the saltiness of it went well with the mild flavors of the panela cheese.
2 slices of panela cheese
1 tsp. of mayonnaise (I added hummus to mine but mom & Vivian aren’t into hummus so more for me!)
1-2 tomato slices
baby spinach
Naan bread – I had Vivian cut about 8” square from the long naan bread and then folded that to make each sandwich about 4”

Spread mayonnaise/hummus on naan bread, add cheese, tomato, meat, spinach, and cheese. Lay sandwich on pan or grill (I used my little George Foreman Grill).  I sprayed the grill with butter flavor Pam prior to adding the sandwich.
The "grill" is so small only one fit at a time.
2nd:
2 slices of turkey deli meat (if thinly sliced add more)
1 slice of chipotle cheddar cheese
1 slice of fontina cheese
1 tsp. of mayonnaise
Naan bread – I had Vivian cut about 8” square from the long naan bread and then folded that to make each sandwich about 4”

Spread mayonnaise on naan bread, add chipotle cheese, tomato, meat, spinach, and fontina cheese.  Lay sandwich on pan or grill (I used my little George Foreman Grill).  I sprayed the grill with butter flavor Pam prior to adding the sandwich.

We had a great and filling lunch and by Sunday night most of the nann bread was gone!

So good! I  wish I had one of these for lunch today. 
 Until next time,


2 comments:

  1. Yum! Wish I'd been there for lunch! :) I'll have to check out the market...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melody. Definitely check it out. They will also have a food court. Currently only Persian but was told they are adding Mexican, Asian, and some other type...can't recall. Maybe our next get together will be there.
      ;)

      Delete