Wednesday, March 7, 2012

What's for dinner....


We eat a lot of chicken in my casa.  This is a fact.  I am always trying to find new ways of making the uncooked chicken and the other night was no exception.  I kept staring at the chicken that had been defrosting willing it to tell me what to transform it into.  I finally decided on this old standard (I know the dang chicken wasn’t “telling” me anything new, so I decided to fall back on a favorite of Vivian's but added new ingredients...mushrooms & green olives)….


Chicken Rollups...stuffed with spinach, mushrooms, green olives and this…


I found this beauty at Trader Joe’s.  I nearly squealed with delight when I saw it. Chipotle Cheese!  Now just stop it!!!  It was love at first sight.  And I have to say it did not disappoint in the taste department either!

OK, here’s what I used to make this dish:

1 ½ pounds chicken boneless breasts
2 cups raw spinach
1 cup cut mushrooms
1 cup green olives
1 cut shallot
1 tbs. oil (I used truffle oil but any oil would work)
2 minced garlic cloves
Salt & Pepper to taste
¼ cup bread crumbs
1 egg white lightly beaten

Makes 4

1. Preheat oven to 475 degrees.  Spray a baking dish with cooking spray.
1.  Heat the oil in pan and add the shallot and cook for a minute or two on medium heat.
2.  Add the minced garlic and cook for about a minute.
3.  Add mushrooms to the shallots and garlic and cook for another minute or so.
4.  Next add the spinach and cook until wilted.
5.  Add the olives.
5.  Cut the chicken into slices (mine were small…I cut each chicken half into two so that made 4 slices all together).
6.  Place a chicken slice between two sheets of heavy plastic (a ziplock works great…insert chicken inside, close and pound away!) or parchment paper and firmly pound the chicken breast with whatever you have (I used a rolling pin as don’t have a meat mallet) to about a 1/4 inch thickness.  Repeat for the rest of the chicken slices.
7.  Cut cheese into small slices….small enough to fit on chicken and easy to roll
8.  Now take the chicken slice and fill with spinach mixture and place a slice of cheese on top and roll the chicken slice.  You may need to insert toothpicks to keep it rolled. Finish doing the rest.
9.  Take each chicken roll and dip in egg white and then dip each side in bread crumbs.  Place in baking dish.  Do this for each chicken roll.
10. Bake in the preheated oven until the crumbs are browned and the chicken juices run clear, about 25 minutes.

And done! 




 Add a side salad and call it a night. J

Until next time!

Luna's right eye looks freaky in this photo! 


No comments:

Post a Comment