I had ground beef defrosting and had no clue what to make. I still had polenta in my fridge and made the following Gound Beef & Polenta Bake.
There was a lot of chopping needed for this recipe...
|chopped onions...they always make me cry!|
|chopped red peppers|
|And finally...chopped mushrooms.|
Here's the recipe...
Adapted from here
1 (26 ounce) Vodka sauce
1 pound lean ground beef
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. garlic salt
1 small onion finely cut
½ a red pepper chopped
1 cup chopped mushrooms
1 zucchini chopped
2 to 3 minced garlic cloves (I used 3)
1 (18 oz) tube of polenta cut into about 20 slices
½ cup shredded Fontina cheese
1. Brown ground beef with oregano and garlic salt
2. While meat is cooking chop veggies
3. Once meat is cooked add onions and bell pepper and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Add mushrooms, zucchini, and garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes
5. Add half of the sauce and simmer for 10 minutes
6. In the meantime add the remaining half of sauce to an 9” square pan (I only had a 9” pan but if have 8" would be better) and cover bottom of pan.
7. Add half of polenta slices to pan.
8. Once mixture done simmering add half of it evenly on top of polenta.
9. Add half of the cheese on top of the mixture
10. Repeat steps 7 thru 9.
11. Cover and bake for 30 minutes
12. Uncover and bake for an additional 15 minutes
Until next time…